A land forged from the fires of strife, blood of heroes, and touch of the gods.
Where deeds of great valor, vile evils, and blazing passions intertwine
to shape the course of elven and human history within.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The End is Near

OK, yes, it's a tacky heading, but it's been a long day and I'm tired. I'm away from work this week, between Christmas and New Year's, enjoying some family time and some writing time, and some get-the-holidays-over with time.  Why do we need a vacation after our vacation?  I've never figured that out. Regardless, the year is nigh well ended, and a new one on the horizon. So let's talk about upcoming stuff by starting with something done a few days ago.
Went to see True Grit on Christmas Day; the theater was packed, all the film rooms were doing brisk business, and it was good to see people out and about enjoying time with family and friends.
The film is great; great main characters with Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon (you won't recognize either of them) and a young lady by the name of  Hailee Steinfeld, who should probably be checking her mailbox soon for an Oscar nomination.
This is a character-driven story; very honestly the plot is secondary to the characters, they're all so delicious.  And the dialogue; this is what I really loved.  Much of it is taken directly from the book (yes, the movie is based on a book written in 1968 by Mr. Charles Portis).  This turned out to be the attraction for me, because my stories have a dialogue as unique as that Mr. Portis used in his story.  And I've always wondered how such a singular manner of speech would translate to spoken word, in film or stage.  I was pleasantly surprised.
I have on my list of THINGS TO DO IN 2011 a read-around; getting friends together who are familiar with my stories and assigning parts to everyone, to read and see how it really sounds with different voices for the characters. I'm looking forward to it and with a bit of luck, might actually have a chance to do it before summer. Maybe I'll post an MP3 on my website.
Hmmm.....

No comments: