A land forged from the fires of strife, blood of heroes, and touch of the gods.
Where deeds of great valor, vile evils, and blazing passions intertwine
to shape the course of elven and human history within.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Followup

Wow, I just realized I haven't posted for two weeks.  Time's fun when you're having flies.
Moving right along on the edit thing, I'm still deep into the "hopefully final-but probably really the next to last" edit of Secrets of the Second Sun.  Editing is a real chore, and even though these words are my very own, after a while I get tired of reading them over and over.  Sort of like seeing your favorite movie several times in a row; you just want to do something else.
So that brings me to the topic for today; what to do when you're sick of editing your manuscript.
OK, take a break; from editing, not reading this post.  Do something else.  If you still have the creative urge, write something you've been wanting to write but just haven't had the time for because you were... well... editing.  Watch a movie, read a book (someone else's not the one you're editing!), go shopping, get together with friends for dinner and wash that edit stuff right out of your system.
Yes, sometimes editing is a drag, but a necessary one.  Because your masterpiece still isn't done and nobody but you can finish it.  But we don't live by bread (or editing) alone, so treat yourself to some dessert. 
Then hit it again harder tomorrow and do the job... until the next time when you're tired of it and need another break.
I find I can edit for about half an hour before my eyes get blurry.  My problem is, I read before I go to sleep; not my stuff, usually Larry Niven.  And I'm so conditioned to this, anytime I read, I get sleepy.  So when I'm editing... you guessed it... I get drowsy, so thirty minutes is about my limit.
Then it's time to load the dishwasher.
Keep at it.  Don't stop.  Don't give in.  Because this is where your manuscript becomes a book.

No comments: