A land forged from the fires of strife, blood of heroes, and touch of the gods.
Where deeds of great valor, vile evils, and blazing passions intertwine
to shape the course of elven and human history within.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Where Do We Go From Here?

Sometimes, especially when things are REALLY BUSY in everyday life, I simply don't have time to write an article, or even have a thought about what to write.  In business this is known as "the whirlwind"; you're so busy doing "stuff", you don't have time to do your job.  
In today's business office, with everything dominated by technology (smartphones, copiers that don't copy, printers that don't print, email, voicemail, snailmail, male and female "don't do that in the office" proclamations from HR, blah, blah, blah...) sometimes we are caught up in it, and don't know how to get out of it.
So here I am, in "the whirlwind" and January 2013 is all but over... and I've not even posted once in my blog.
Granted, I usually don't post more than once a month because... well... I'm busy.  OK, now many of you will say, "well, if it's really important to you, you'd find time to do it!", and that's a legitimate argument.  Therefore... come on now, follow the logic...
Truth is, I'd rather spend time creating than blogging.  I'd rather spend time with friends and family than blogging.  Sometimes I'd rather wash the dishes than blogging.  (Picking up a pattern here...)
I blog when I have something to say that I think is worth reading.  Note, I didn't say "worth saying", I said "worth reading".  This is why I don't read a lot of blogs.  (Again, a pattern...)
If you've read this far you either (1) have far too much time on your hands, or (2) just want to see what this odd person is leading up to.
With the start of a New Year, I've been reflecting on where this is all going... my writing, I mean.  2012 was interesting and exciting, as I hammered out Blades of Alliance (yes, I know it's two months overdue for release, but the book was essentially finished in December.  Just, you know, stuff happened), and began serious writing on Blood Secret, Book Five of the Ardwellian Chronicles.  Amazing what a six-month break from the "comfort zone" will do for you.  And I've been thinking about that silly mantra I created (Working on The Ardwellian Chronicles and Hope I Live Long Enough to Finish); and been doing the math.  So here is what I've come up with:

Blood Secret is due out by the end of 2014.
Chitthra's Heart is due out by the end of 2016 (Book Six, by the way, and this is the last novel planned).
Champions (the second "picture book" companion piece) is due out by May 2014.
Mother Darkness (the third "picture book" companion piece) is due out by the end of 2016.
So in the next (just less than) 4 years I have 4 books planned.
After that comes:
Rumors of the Palace (format to be decided)
Daemon Trails and Other Stories: Tales of the Western Isles (possibly a graphic novel)
Elfblood (format to be decided)
The Thousand Days (possibly a graphic novel)

Each of the four above should take no more than two years average, so a total of eight years beyond 2016; that means 2024, possibly stretching to 2026 to be more realistic.
If you know my age, add it up.  Needless to say, I'll be an older man when this is all complete.  Can I make it?  Odds?  (No, I'm not asking, or saying, I'm odd; that's a given)
Lord willin' and the creek don't rise.
They say one of the biggest killers of people is retirement; those who don't have a plan as to what to do with their time simply can waste away.  
To quote a certain ship captain, "I aim to misbehave".  
Stay tuned... it's gonna be a great ride.

2 comments:

Greg Gildersleeve said...

So, we can look forward to all of the above by the time you're 59? :)

Dennis Young said...

I passed that mark quite a while ago, Greg! :oD